If you want sushi with a rice-free twist, then give this crowd-pleaser a go, vegan quinoa sushi!
Vegan friendly (although you can adapt to suit any palette )
AND it is super fun to make with friends or family!
There are quite a few ingredients but all are easy to find & the process is really simple. HERE GOES!
(for inside the quinoa sushi)
- 10 seaweed sheets (nori wraps)
- 2 cup cooked Quinoa (you can purchase HERE)
- 1 Red pepper (finely diced)
- 1 Yellow pepper (finely diced)
- 2 or 3 tomatoes 🍅 (finely diced)
- 4 Avo’s 🥑 (mashed up)
- 1 lemon squeezed
- Small pack of curly Kale or about 7 stems if purchased in a bunch. Stems removed & finely shredded (alternatively use baby spinach or lettuce of your choice.)
- 1 heaped tablespoon Hemp Hearts (you can purchase HERE)
- 3 tbsp chia seeds (you can purchase here)
- 1 Tbsp Coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp grapeseed oil or virgin olive oil
- 1 matchbox-sized piece of Ginger (finely grated)
- 1 tablespoon Sesame seed oil (optional)
- 120g mushroom (not essential and optional) your choice (mushrooms need to be cooked beforehand in a pan on the stove)
For a little medicinal magic, you can add the following, all optional:
Method to make the vegan quinoa sushi:
- Besides the seaweed sheets, make sure all the other ingredients are super finely chopped
- Start by making the quinoa 1 cup dried quinoa to 2 ¼ cups water. Bring to a boil and simmer until super soft.
- Set aside to cool.
- Add the chia seeds to 1/3 cup water and set aside until swollen
- Once quinoa is cooled, in a large bowl add ALL the ingredients (including the chia seeds BUT excluding the seaweed sheets). Gently mix well.
- Use a sushi mat or damn dishtowel to roll.
- Place the sheets, shiny side down, on the mat or dishtowel.
- Place some of the quinoa mix along the one edge of the sheet (about 3 or 4 Tbsp)…..then roll it up and set to one side.
- To close the sushi roll, wet the edge of the sheet before rolling closed.
- Keep going until you have done as many as you need.
- Place in the fridge for 15min min.
Dipping sauce ingredients
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp shredded ginger (optional)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 fresh red chili finely chopped (optional)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce (optional otherwise season with salt)
- 1 Tbsp peanut butter (optional) or any other nut butter you prefer
- 1 Tbsp lemon.
- Black or white sesame seeds for garnish on top.
To make dipping sauce….
Add everything to a blender & whizz until smooth & creamy!
Alternatively, the traditional sushi condiments can be used which are soy sauce, pickled ginger & wasabi paste.
Remove the quinoa sushi rolls from the fridge & cut to form your little sushi wheels.
Place on a platter with the dipping sauce and garnish with black or white sesame seeds, edible flowers, extra avocado or fresh strawberry slices.
did you know…
Quinoa is NOT a grain, it is a seed & that is why it is so nutritious.
High in B vitamins, manganese, phosphorus, magnesium, iron, fiber & protein….wow, powerful little seed that!
Let us know in the comments below what you enjoy having in your vegan quinoa sushi?
To order your ORGANIC superfood products, CLICK HERE !
*no scientific or medical claims are being made on this website & what we share is based on our personal experience, testimonials from our clients & personal research.